|July 1925 - December 1970|
|Gus Wilson's Model Garage|
1963 Table of Contents
|January -||July -|
|February -||August -|
|March -||September -|
|April -||October -|
|May -||November -|
|June -||December -|
In the News...
● France and West Germany sign treaty of cooperation ending four centuries of conflict (Jan. 22).
● Michael E. De Bakey implants artificial heart in human for first time at Houston hospital; plastic device functions and patient lives for four days (April 21).
● Pope John XXIII dies (June 3) - succeeded June 21 by Cardinal Montini, who becomes Paul VI.
● U.S. Supreme Court rules no locality may require recitation of Lord's Prayer or Bible verses in public schools (June 17).
● U.K.'s Profumo scandal (June).
● Civil rights rally held by 200,000 blacks and whites in Washington, D.C.;
● Martin Luther King delivers "I have a dream" speech (Aug. 28).
● Washington-to-Moscow "hot line" communications link opens, designed to reduce risk of accidental war (Aug. 30).
● President Kennedy shot and killed by sniper in Dallas, Tex.
● Lyndon B. Johnson becomes president same day (Nov. 22).
● Kenya achieves independence.
● Betty Friedan publishes The Feminine Mystique.
● There are 15,000 U.S. military advisers in South Vietnam.
● Studebaker ceases U.S. production
● Front seat belts standard